Saturday, May 11, 2013

Magic custard cake

As like any other young child would be, I was fascinated by magic. How could one be chopped off in that box?


I was even more fascinated by my uncle, Ku Zhang, who had (and still does) tricks up his sleeves. I remember when I was still living in Kuala Lumpur, there was one time when he and my aunty, Da Ku visited us from Penang. There was one night, when he kept on showing me these tricks, and I begged him to show me more and more, before it was time for me to go to bed. How is it, that he could find a gold coin, right behind my ear? He also sent me this video below a while ago, and I found it hilarious!


I would be lying if I said that I'm not fascinated by magic anymore, as I'm a teenager right now.

But, this cake really is magic. Magic in a sense that is science! Because baking actually really is science. Forgot the rising agents in your cake? Your cake is going to be as flat as a pancake. Decreased the amount of butter while making croissants (I learnt my lesson a year ago when I tried to decrease the amount of butter in double chocolate cookies). Absolute no-no! Follow the correct lab procedure.. Oops I mean follow the correct instructions.. :)
But I really do wonder how this transforms into three distinct layers. It's rather quite interesting, and I've seen chocolate and red velvet variations of it. Did this taste pretty nice, and if you love custard stuff, this is for you. I would make the chocolate version next time, because I prefer chocolate over custard.

Before I put the cake in the oven, I have to admit that I was a little worried that it wouldn't turn out right. I still had a few bits of whipped egg white floating up. But just wait and see. You'll see a magic custard cake.

What things were you curious of when you were a kid?


Magic custard cake
Ingredients
1/2 cup (113 g) unsalted butteer
2 cups (480 ml) milk
4 eggs, separated
1 and 1/4 cups (150 g) icing sugar/confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 cup (115g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure Vanilla extract
*extra icing sugar for dusting
*4 drops of white vinegar for egg whites, for stabilisation

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C (325 F). Lightly grease, or line with baking paper in an 8 inch x 8 inch (20 cm x 20 cm) baking dish.
2. Melt the butter and set aside to slightly cool. Warm the milk to lukewarm, and set aside.
3. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks in an electric mixer. Add a bit of vinegar to the egg whites.
4. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light. Mix in the melted butter, and the water. Mix for about 2 minutes, or until evenly incorporated.
5. Sift the flour into the bowl and mix until evenly incorporated. Slowly beat in the milk and vanilla extract.
6. Fold in the egg whites, 1/3 at a time. Repeat until all of the egg whites are folded in.
7. Pour batter into the pan and bake for about 45-60 minutes, or until the top is golden. Wait for the cake to completely cool down, before cutting it and dust with icing sugar.

Adapted from White on rice couple

2 comments:

  1. ...and you have magic fingers Yii Huei, baking delicious bake one after another :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, this means a lot coming from you! You have absolutely stunning pictures and your bakes look so delicious.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate it!